HIHR-EIT Health pitch event
Brussels – Wednesday June 1, 2022
for informal talks, (pre) Seed and Series A pitching
We are proud to be able to present you 29 projects in the Human Health,
varying from very early stage pre-mature ideas, to pitch presentations for Seed funding up to Series A and even further.
For our 10th edition HIHR will team up again with the Investor Lounge of EIT-Health, offering projects in the full pipeline the opportunity to connect with investors, corporates and KTO-professionals. A whopping 11 start ups, 11 Quickfires and 7 scale ups look forward to presenting their ideas and investment opportunities either by a pitch presentation on June 1 in Brussels, or an informal online Quickfire session scattered in the weeks around. For all these stages our primary aim is to offer an open dialogue with investors and corporates.
Please press here to get a glance of the programme for this edition. A syllabus with summaries of all selected projects will be sent upon registration.
We hope to welcome many of you in person in Brussels on June 1. The quickfire sessions will take place by online meetings in the weeks before and after the pitch event.
HIHR is an invitation-only event, which means that we have no open registration system for investors or entrepreneurs. If you are interested in joining, you’re kindly requested to send an email to email@example.com to receive an invite for our next HIHR-edition, including a link to the online investor-registration form.
We highly recommend you to express your interest for the Quickfire sessions at the registration form before May 18 for planning purposes. Registrations after May 18 are scheduled based on availability. Your input to help these initiatives further shape their ideas is hugely valued.
After registration you will receive the syllabus with summaries of all spin off initiatives (pitch- and QF-sessions) and Outlook invites with MS Teams links of the respective Quickfire sessions, following the indication of your choice.
You can either participate by event tickets or via package deals.
Being a highly volunteer driven organisation, we very much appreciate support or extra endorsement of our platform in general, which is expressed in:
- HIHR SUPPORTING PACKAGE à € 1000* a year: unlimited access to online events; 2 free passes per F2F edition; your company listed on our website with link to your own homepage; priority access to list of venture proposals and quickfire sessions; participation to coaching and active involvement in our platform, as wished.
- HIHR SPONSOR à € 7.500* a year: unlimited access to on line events; 5 pp per F2F edition; reference as partner on website with logo; contributions to our training/coaching/expert event; exposure as actively supporting the creation of a Benelux platform; priority access to list of venture proposals and quickfire sessions.
But you are also welcome to join on a case by case base:
- REGULAR TICKET à € 350* per event – online access or free pass for 1 person in Brussels
- GROUP TICKET à € 600* per event: unlimited online access plus 2 free passes in Brussels
*All amounts are ex 21% VAT. Please note that for this event Belgian VAT will be charged.
KTO/Spin Off event registration and pricing scheme
KTO-professionals and Spin off representatives are requested to sign up for the HIHR-event via this online registration form. We kindly request each person to register individually.
We warmly invite all KTO-professionals to contribute to the quickfire sessions, share your expertise and thereby help other initiatives shaping their future venture. You can mark your interest at the registration form preferably before May 18, for planning purposes. After registration you will receive the syllabus with summaries of all spin off initiatives, followed by Outlook invites with MS Teams link of the respective sessions.
Affiliated PRO’s are entitled to join the f2f event with a 2 or 3 people in person*, including KTO-staff as well as spin off representers (see schedule hereunder); extra people are welcome to join, in which case an additional invoice will follow to cover the out of pocket costs, according to the following pricing scheme:
- €100 for the first extra person
- € 80 for the second extra person
- € 60 for any third and more extra persons
All amounts are ex 21% VAT. Please note that for this event Belgian VAT will be charged.
Additional invoices will be sent to the KTO in question, unless any other invoice address will be mentioned.
All affiliated PRO’s are offered unlimited access to our pitch sessions via our online connection as well as to our online Quickfire sessions.
* The number of free passes is related to the affiliation to HIHR. Single institutions are entilted to 2 free passes for f2f-attendance per event. Double institutions (representing a regular university plus an academic hospital or other combination of research institutions) get free access to 3 people.
Single institutions: Universities of Hasselt, Namur, Mons, Eindhoven, Twente, Wageningen, Erasmus MC as well as IMEC, VIB, LIH, NKI, Oncode and TNO
Double institutions: Universities & Medical Centres of Antwerp, Ghent, KU Leuven, Liège, UC Louvain, ULBruxelles, VUBrussel, Groningen, Leiden, Luxembourg, Nijmegen, Maastricht, Utrecht, Amsterdam UVA, Amsterdam VU as well as the KNAW.
!! Please inquire after our special sponsor-deal !!
Our events are not possible without the support of our sponsors. If you feel positive towards our initiative, value our unique and strong focus or would like to actively help young academic entrepreneurs, then we encourage you to become one of our sponsors. By sponsoring HIHR you contribute to building up and strengthening the academic Benelux venture ecosystem. It enables you to directly support the young entrepreneurs, by actively contributing to pitch training and/or 1:1 coaching and by priority seating at the quick fire sessions. At the same time your financial support enables us to maintain our independency, increase the professionalism of our pitches and further elaborate our initiative into a Benelux academic venture forum.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on sponsoring options.
By contributing to the HIHR platform you will:
- on the one hand get easy access to plans of new spin-off initiatives that fit your investment portfolio and meet the teams behind them;
- on the other hand strengthen the HIHR spin-off-VC platform by providing input to young teams that are eager to learn from your expertise;
- and support Healthcare innovators in the Benelux.
Coaching and online Pitch Training
The quality of the pitches is of vital importance to HIHR. Only with well-prepared and well-trained pitches, addressing the required elements, we will be able to attract relevant investors for upcoming events. We strongly encourage you to participate in this training, as our experiences show that the transition from researcher to an entrepreneur is often being underestimated and requires a fundamental change into a more market oriented thinking.
Please note that the selection committee reserves the right, even at the very last moment, to withdraw a project if it believes that the quality of the presentation is insufficiently guaranteed.
The pitch training for HIHR-10 consists of the following parts:
1. Pitching is selling. Your main goal is to attract attention and to win a face2face meeting with a VC. Do not merely present a technology but rather tell an appealing business story. Check out here the Pointers for creating a focused, effective investor pitch and practice !
2. Our online pitchtraining* session will take place on Tuesday April 26, 2022. Theme of this lunch webinar on Resonating with investors, given by Jeff Skinner, Executive Director of the Institute of Entrepreneurship and Private Capital (IEPC) at London Business School. Jeff takes us on a journey to the mind of an investor as to better understand their focus and concerns and thereby to be in a far better position to structure your pitch in a way that intrigues investors sufficiently to continue the conversation. Check here a brief outline of this session.
3. Introductory webinars: Thanks to our partners we offer two additional introductory webinars in which investors tell what they want to hear and how they want you to present your story:
- J-Labs in collaboration with INKEF Capital: Don’t go Pitching in the Dark: How to Navigate Investor Interactions – April 2020
- INKEF Capital: How to boost the chances of your project success from day one (and secure the investors’ money too) – April 2021
Selected pitchers will receive a link to these respective webinars – for internal use only.
4. Online Pitch try-out training* sessions on Wednesday May 11, 2022.
A panel of experts, consisting of investors, corporates and KTO-experts will provide direct feed-back and share practical tips on effective presentation skills and increasing your chances of successful fundraising. On this occassion we organise two sessions in parallel, with panel members from the following companies / Institutes:
INKEF Capital – Galapagos – JNJ-Innovation – Bioqube Ventures – Arnold&Siedsma / LC Patents – KULeuven – ULuxembourg – UGhent – Radboud UMC – Wageningen University – ErasmusMC
5. All powerpoint pitch presentations will be reviewed by our selection committee. Based on this review a last 1:1 call might be offered for individual coaching of your presentation, at the start of the day on May 24 or 25.
* participation required
We strongly encourage all our spin off initiatives to participate in this training. Throughout the years we have noticed that this training is key for delivering a successful pitch. We therefore have decided to offer this on line training to all our pitchers and ask them to try out and present their pitch to a panel of experts, who will provide feed-back and will share practical tips on effective presentation skills for investors and increasing your chances of successful fundraising.
QF-teams are welcome to join this session as auditor as well. If you are interested in joining this session, then please send an email to email@example.com
We look forward to welcoming you to the premisses of VBO FEB, a pleasant venue conveniently located on a 5 minute walk from Brussels Central Station.
The event will take place in room Horta on the first floor.
The visiting address for the event is:
Check here for directions and options for public transport and parking places.
If applicable we will follow the official Covid-19 regulations.
We highly appreciate your input and feed back to the presenter and invite you to share your findings via this evaluation form [under construction]. This can be done by name or anonymously. Thank you for your feedback!
Registration for QUICKFIRE SESSIONS - call is CLOSED
Following the success of our previous editions, dedicated quickfire sessions will be offered to researchers with very early stage concepts of ideas. These Quickfire sessions are highly valuated, since they provide an unique opportunity to entrepreneurial teams to briefly present, test and discuss their early-stage venture project or business case with a small group of investors/entrepreneurs/KTO-professionals (max. group size of 12 persons, incl TTO/presenter) in an informal and intimate atmosphere. Aim of these small-scale meetings is to lead to a strong interaction between the participants on a (future or existing) business case.
Early stage ideas or existing business cases interested in a quickfire session with stakeholders are welcome to register their initiative via this QF-registration form. Registrations will have to be handed in via the respective TTO-office. Deadline for handing in these registration forms is set on APRIL 7, 2021. Actual take place and allocation of slots is based on investor interest and availability. Schedules and logistics for these QF-sessions, taking place on May 24, 25 and 30, will be communicated in April.
Call for nomination for Pitch presentations for START UP track - call is CLOSED
New Spin-off initiatives, actively seeking a first venture capital investment that want to present their investment opportunity to our network of investors, entrepreneurs and corporates by means of a pitch are kindly invited to apply for a pitch via this nomination form. In addition to the nomination form, we request a short 10-minute conversation via MS Teams to briefly explain the application. Please note that nominations will have to be handed in via the respective TTO-office. Deadline for handing in these nominations for HIHR-10 is set on MARCH 31. The 10-minute calls are scheduled on the morning of April 7.
The selection committee will review all nominations and set up in the weeks after the deadline. You will be notified on a possible placement for a pitch and further deadlines mid April, including information on our training and coaching – all to help you to focus and finalise your pitch (see hereunder Coaching and online PItch Training).
Based on the positive experience of our Quickfire sessions we’ve decided to extend this format to pitchers and offer a seperate QF-session in addition to their pitch. With this extra service we intend to accommodate them with more in depth discussions with investors on their investment opportunity, after their pitch. There is no need to apply separately for this QF-session – this can simply be marked on the pitch-nomination form. Schedules and logistics for these QF-sessions, taking place in the days / week after the pitch event, will be communicated in April as well.
Call for investment propositions for SCALE UP Track - call is CLOSED
We invite all HIHR-alumni and ventures that seek funding between €1 and €6 million euro to apply for the EIT Health Investor Network. Ventures that seek funding starting from €6 million euro up to pre-IPO are encouraged to apply for the Venture Centre of Excellence an EIT Health and EIF collaboration. The registration fee for this evaluationproces will be waved for the HIHR-alumni. The procedures for these two fundraising programmes are entirely separate. Please contact Nicolas van de Kerkhof for additional information.